Complete and submit online.
2023-2024 Loan default resolution verification
If this item is listed under your Financing Tasks in My ASU, your financial aid disbursement will be placed on hold until you provide the information requested.]
Why this is needed
Your FAFSA indicates that you have defaulted (i.e., failed to make payments) on your Federal Student Aid (FSA) loan(s). One of the consequences of default is the loss of additional federal student aid eligibility. To regain your eligibility, you must resolve the default using one of the options below.
- If you have a defaulted loan and would like to participate in the new Fresh Start Initiative, which allows students to regain eligibility, please complete the affidavit below. Note: the following loan types do not qualify for this program:
- A Perkins loan held by the school.
- A Health Education Assistance Program (HEAL) loan.
- A loan held by the Department of Justice.
- Resolve your defaulted FSA loan(s) and upload proof from the guarantor or collection agency in the eForm below. To determine the holder of your defaulted FSA loan(s), log in to the National Student Loan Data System website with your FSA ID and password. Contact the holder of your defaulted FSA loan(s) directly for instructions on how to resolve your default. Once resolved, upload acceptable documentation (dated within the last 30 days) such as:
- Documentation of the loan paid in full.
- Documentation of loan consolidation.
- Documentation of satisfactory repayment arrangement.
- Documentation of successful loan rehabilitation.
- If you have a defaulted federal student loan in an active bankruptcy claim and your debt is dischargeable, attach documentation from the holder of the debt stating it is dischargeable. Visit the Getting Out of Default page on the Federal Student Aid website for more information.
- Click on the eForm below and follow the instructions provided.
- Upload documentation showing the default has been resolved or that you will be participating in the Fresh Start Initiative.
- Submit the eForm.
You can view your document status on My ASU's Finances tab. Please allow two to three business days after you submit it for our receipt to show in your Financing Tasks.