2022–2023 bankruptcy status review
If this item is listed under your Financing Tasks in My ASU, your financial aid disbursement will be placed on hold until you provide the information requested.
Why this is needed
Financial Aid and Scholarship Services needs to complete a review of your bankruptcy status with the National Student Loan Data System (NSLDS) to confirm to determine your Federal Student Aid (FSA) eligibility. If you list a defaulted FSA loan or grant overpayment in an active bankruptcy claim, you are not eligible for further FSA funds unless you can provide ASU with a document from the holder of the debt stating it is dischargeable.
Federal Student Aid eligibility and bankruptcy
- If you had any FSA loan(s) or grant overpayment(s) that have been discharged in bankruptcy, you may be eligible for FSA funds.
- If you list a defaulted FSA loan or grant overpayment in an active bankruptcy claim, you are not eligible for further FSA funds unless you can provide ASU with a document from the holder of the debt stating it is dischargeable. If you are unable to provide ASU with such a document, you will remain ineligible for FSA funds until you clear the defaulted loan(s) by consolidating, rehabilitating or repaying the loan in full. Visit the Federal Student Aid website for details on these options.
- If you include a nondefaulted FSA loan in an active bankruptcy claim, so that collection on the loan is stayed (i.e., not being collected upon by debt collectors), you may be eligible for FSA funds as long as you do not have loan(s) in default.
You can log in to NSLDS with your FSA ID and password to view your eligibility.
Complete and submit online.
- Click on the eForm below and follow the instructions provided.
- Upload documentation from the holder of the loan to show that the debt is dischargeable if you have a defaulted federal student loan or grant overpayment in an active bankruptcy claim and your debt is dischargeable.
- Submit the eForm.
You can view your document status on My ASU's Finances tab. Please allow two to three business days after you submit it for our receipt to show in your Financing Tasks.