2021–2022 Citizenship Verification

Financial Aid and Scholarship Services will request this documentation only if it is needed to complete your financial aid file. If this item is listed under your Financing Tasks in My ASU, your financial aid disbursement will be placed on hold.

You can view your document status on My ASU’s Finances tab. Please allow 2 to 3 business days for receipt to show in your Financing Tasks.

Purpose: The Social Security Administration was unable to confirm your U.S. citizen or national status. Therefore, you must complete the process below.


  1. Click on the eForm below and follow the instructions provided.
  2. Upload a copy of your citizenship documentation and your valid, unexpired government-issued photo ID.
  • U.S. birth certificate showing birth in the U.S., which includes Puerto Rico (on or after Jan. 13, 1941), Guam, the U.S. Virgin Islands (on or after Jan. 17, 1917), American Samoa, Swains Islands, or the Northern Mariana Islands, unless the person was born to foreign diplomats residing in the U.S.
  • Current or expired U.S. passport, except "limited" passports. In the case of U.S. nationals who are not citizens, the passport will be stamped "Noncitizen National." Note: If you are using your U.S. passport as both your citizenship documentation and your government-issued photo ID, the U.S. passport cannot be expired. Be sure your passport is signed on the official document signature line.
  • A wallet-sized passport card issued by the State Department.
  • Consular Report of Birth Abroad (FS-240) issued by the State Department.
  • Certification of Birth issued by a Foreign Service Post (FS-545) issued by the State Department.
  • Certification of Report of Birth (DS-1350) issued by the State Department.
  • Certificate of Citizenship (N-560 or N-561) issued by the U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS).
  • Certificate of Naturalization (N-550 or N-561) issued by USCIS (or prior to 1991, a federal or state court) or through administrative naturalization after Dec. 1990 to those who are individually naturalized.
  • Drivers license.
  • Non-driver identification card.
  • Other state-issued identification card.
  • Passport.
  • USCIS has confirmed that citizenship documentation may be photocopied as long as it is done for lawful purposes. These documents must be submitted with an affidavit certifying that it is a true, exact and complete copy of the original documents.
  • Note that Social Security cards and driver licenses are not acceptable forms of documentation of citizenship or national status.
  • If you have a birth certificate from a U.S. jurisdiction showing that you were born abroad (i.e., not in the U.S. or its territories), that birth certificate is not acceptable documentation.
  • If you are an eligible noncitizen with a valid resident alien card or other acceptable eligible noncitizen statuses, as listed on the Eligible Non-citizen Verification form, you must correct your FAFSA by changing question 14 “Are you a U.S. citizen?” to: “No, but I am an eligible noncitizen” and provide your Alien Registration Number on FAFSA question 15.

Complete and submit online.