Complete and submit online.
2021–2022 Loan Discharge Due To Disability
Financial Aid and Scholarship Services will request this form only if it is needed to complete your financial aid file. If this item is listed under your Financing Tasks in My ASU, your financial aid disbursement will be placed on hold.
You can view your document status on My ASU’s Finances tab. Please allow 2 to 3 business days for receipt to show in your Financing Tasks.
Purpose: According to the National Student Loan Data System, you have one or more student loans that were discharged due to a total and/or permanent disability. In order for our office to continue processing your financial aid, we need you to clarify whether or not you want additional federal loan and TEACH Grant consideration.
- Click the link below to access the eForm.
- Upload a physician's letter only if you are requesting new federal loans and TEACH Grants.
- Submit the completed eForm.
- While applying for a Total Permanent Disability discharge, any disbursements of a federal loan or TEACH Grant may cause your application to be suspended until the disbursement is returned or rejected.
- Approved TPD discharges based on documentation from the VA are not subject to a post-discharge monitoring period.
- Approved TPD discharges based on documentation from a physician's certification or the Social Security Administration are subject to a three year post-discharge monitoring period.
- If you have questions regarding the three year post-discharge monitoring period, call Nelnet, the Department’s Total and Permanent Disability (TPD) servicer at 888-303-7818 from 8 a.m. to 8 p.m. (ET) Monday through Friday, or email DisabilityInformation@Nelnet.net.
- Additional total and permanent discharge information can be found here.