Complete and submit online.
2023–2024 Parent marital status verification
If this item is listed under your Financing Tasks in My ASU, your financial aid disbursement will be placed on hold until you provide the information.
Why this is needed
The parent marital status reported on your FAFSA conflicts with the information reported on your household size form, your parent tax return or other documents submitted in support of your financial aid application. Therefore, clarification of your FAFSA parent's current marital status is required.
This form must be completed by the parent listed on the FAFSA. You will need to provide the parent guest access on My ASU in order for them to electronically complete and sign parent forms. To grant your parent guest access, visit My ASU - Add a Guest. Under Finances, check the box next to View my tasks. Once you provide guest access, your parent will need to complete the Parent Signature Verification task in order to sign and complete forms electronically.
Need to request tax documents from the IRS? Here's how:
Call the IRS at -1-800-908-9946 and follow the prompts. If you didn’t file taxes, you will receive a Verification of Nonfiling Letter instead of transcripts.
Visit the IRS transcript page and select Get Transcript Online. Follow the prompts.
Print IRS Form 4506-T from the IRS website. Complete lines 1 through 4 and enter the student’s 10-digit ASU ID number on line 5 (Customer File Number). Be sure to check number 7 (Verification of Nonfiling) or number 6 (Tax Return Transcript). On line 9, enter the date 12/31/2021. Then, sign and submit to the IRS. It will take seven to ten business days to receive the VONF or tax return transcript by mail.
- Have your parent(s) request a replacement copy from the employer who issued the original.
- Your parent(s) can instantly retrieve a wage and income transcript online at the IRS Get Transcript website. The online tool requires the user to register before submitting a request. The user can only use this option if they have the following:
- Access to a valid email address.
- A Social Security number.
- Their filing status and address from the last-filed tax return.
- A text-enabled mobile phone in the user’s name (pay-as-you-go plans cannot be used).
- Their personal account number from one of the following: credit card, home mortgage loan, home equity line of credit or car loan.
- During the registration process, the IRS will send the user a confirmation code via email and an authentication code via text. The IRS email and text will contain a one-time code that the user will use to finalize their registration. After a login has been created, continue by entering your IRS username.
- Select the reason the transcript is needed: Higher education or student aid.
- Go to the wage and income transcript section and click the 2021 year to print your transcript.
- Your parent(s) can request a 2021 wage and income transcript from the IRS by printing and completing the IRS Form 4506-T from the IRS website.
Please use the tips below to complete the 4506-T:
- Enter your 10-digit ASU ID number on line 5 (customer file number).
- Check box 8 (Form W-2).
- On line 9, enter 12/31/2021.
- Have your parent sign and submit it to the IRS.
- After the IRS processes the IRS Form 4506-T, the wage and income transcript will be mailed to them in seven to 10 days.
Print IRS Form 4506T-EZ from the IRS website. Complete lines 1 through 4 and enter the student’s 10-digit ASU ID number on line 5 (customer file number). On line 6, enter the year 2021. Then, sign and submit to the IRS. It will take seven to ten business days to receive the transcript by mail.
You can view your document status on My ASU under the Finances tab. Please allow two to three business days after you submit the form for our receipt to show in your Financing Tasks.