Off-Campus Federal Work-Study Terms of Agreement
The Off-Campus Federal Work- Study (FWS) Program provides employment opportunities for ASU students in federal, state or local public agencies and private nonprofit organizations.
ASU may enter into a written agreement with an off-campus agency after determining that the organization is:
- a reliable agency with professional direction and staff,
- the work to be performed is adequately supervised and consistent with the purpose of the FWS program.
The agency’s share of the FWS wages for the students employed under this program is 50%.
The work performed by the student must be in the public interest.
Work in the public interest is defined as work performed for the welfare of the community, rather than work performed for a particular interest of group that has membership limits.
Students may not be employed by the U.S. Department of Education or any of its major contractors.
Interested agencies will be required to:
- Sign a contract and submit the IRS form 501-c, if applicable.
- Submit written material explaining the services provided by their agency and a description of the type of work performed by the Work-Study student.
After approval by university officials, the agency may hire eligible ASU students under the Off-Campus FWS program.
Students must be eligible to receive need-based financial aid at ASU in order to participate in this program and must maintain at least half- time enrollment status.
When hiring ASU students under this program, the agency must follow ASU and Student Employment policies and procedures. There are currently four wage levels with different ranges in effect. Entry level positions asking for little or no experience start at minimum wage. For details on the remaining levels of the wage scale, please visit students.asu.edu/employment /employers.
Student may work up to 40 hours per week, but their earning are limited to the FWS award amount. Any hours worked in excess of the FWS award must be paid 100% by the agency.
The agency must submit time sheets for each pay period to Student Employment. Students get paid every two weeks for hours actually worked, but not for sick leave, vacation days or holidays.
The agency will be billed once a month for their portion of the student’s FWS earnings.
This program is contingent upon the availability of federal funds.
For more information visit us online at students.asu.edu/employment. ASU is an Affirmative Action/Equal Opportunity Institution.
For employer use only. This form is to be used by off-campus agencies that would like to participate in the Federal Work-Study program.
- Please sign two originals of the Terms of Agreement and submit both to our office.
- Submit a copy of your IRS form 501-c, if applicable.
- Submit written material explaining the services provided by your agency and a description of the type of work that will be performed by the work-study student.
- Submit all of the above to:
Student Employment Office
Arizona State University
PO Box 870412
Tempe, AZ 85287-0412