2024-2025 Citizenship verification

If this item is listed under your Financing Tasks in My ASU, your financial aid disbursement will be placed on hold until you provide the information requested.

Why this is needed: The Social Security Administration was unable to confirm your U.S. citizenship or national status. Therefore, you must complete the process below.


  1. Click on the eForm below and follow the instructions provided.
  2. Upload a copy of your citizenship documentation.
    • U.S. birth certificate showing birth in the U.S., which includes Puerto Rico, Guam, the U.S. Virgin Islands , American Samoa, Swains Islands, or the Northern Mariana Islands, unless the person was born to foreign diplomats residing in the U.S.
    • Current or expired U.S. passport, except "limited" passports. In the case of U.S. nationals who are not citizens, the passport will be stamped "Noncitizen National."
    • Current or expired wallet-sized passport card
    • Consular Report of Birth Abroad (FS-240)
    • Certification of Birth issued by a Foreign Service Post (FS-545)
    • Certification of Report of Birth (DS-1350)
    • Certificate of Citizenship (N-560 or N-561) issued by the U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services.
    • Certificate of Naturalization (N-550 or N-570) issued by USCIS (or prior to 1991, a federal or state court) or through administrative naturalization after December 1990 to those who are individually naturalized.
  3. Submit the eForm.
  • USCIS has confirmed that citizenship documentation may be photocopied as long as it is done for lawful purposes. These documents must be submitted with an affidavit certifying that it is a true, exact and complete copy of the original documents.
  • Note that Social Security cards and driver licenses are not acceptable forms of documentation of citizenship or national status.
  • If you have a birth certificate from a U.S. jurisdiction showing that you were born abroad (i.e., not in the U.S. or its territories), that birth certificate is not acceptable documentation.
  • If you are an eligible noncitizen with a valid resident alien card or other acceptable eligible noncitizen status, as listed on the 2024-2025 Eligible noncitizen verification page, you must correct your FAFSA by logging in and going under Demographics , “Student Citizen Status” to “Eligible noncitizen” and provide your Alien Registration Number after that has been updated.

Complete and submit online.

Download Forms: