Use this form to request a review of your dependency status. Dependency appeals are only approved for documented unusual circumstances (i.e., abuse, abandonment, etc.). The Higher Education Act allows an aid administrator to make dependency overrides on a case-by-case basis for students with unusual circumstances. However, none of the conditions listed below, singly or in combination, qualify as unusual circumstances or merit a dependency override:
- Parents refuse to contribute to the student's education.
- Parents are unwilling to provide information on the application or for verification.
- Parents do not claim the student as a dependent for income tax purposes.
- Student demonstrates total self-sufficiency.
Unusual circumstances do include the following situations and a dependency override may be allowable:
- abusive family environment
- abandonment by parents
- incarcerated parents
- parents institutionalized
- abusive family
- deceased parents
- victim of human trafficking or legal refugee status
- unable to contact parents
If your parents will not financially support you and refuse to provide their information on the FAFSA, you can be considered for a student Unsubsidized Federal Stafford Loan by submitting the Request for Federal Student Loan Due to Parental Nondisclosure.
If there are no unusual circumstances that would qualify you for a dependency review, you must correct your FAFSA and include your parent's information on it.
- Changes resulting from this review do not guarantee an increase in aid.
- Notification of the decision will be sent to your ASU email account.
Complete and submit online.
- Please click on the eForm below and follow the instructions provided.
- Submit the eForm.